As the body ages, the appearance and characteristics of the skin change. Aging is accelerated in those areas exposed to sunlight. This is known as photo-aging. These changes are particularly evident on the face and hands. Aging is also accelerated by smoking.
Photo-aging and repetitive movements result in fine lines and wrinkles, discoloration and textural changes. The epidermis becomes thinner and more dry. Bumps appear due to damaged elastin protein in the dermis. (just below the epidermis).This thicker dermis loses elasticity.
Dermal scarring from acne and sunburn from repeated inflammation is more evident as skin ages. On the deeper plane, loss of facial fat and bone thinning changes the face and makes it appear older.
Not to worry help is on the way. While it is best to prevent the damage in the first place, much can be gained by being proactive and not just letting nature take it’s course. Protect your skin form sun exposure. Use a broad spectrum sun block, avoid exposure between 10am to 2pm. Do not smoke. Exercise daily to improve blood flow. Now one can find a multitude of creams and topical agents that claim to reverse the damage. Do you know which ones actually work?
While every case is different, a good approach to begin with should include daily sunscreen, a retinoid product, topical Vitamin C (the “L” isomer), and an exfoliating cleanser.
For the tougher problems, more aggressive solutions are needed. A wide variety of laser and pulsed light solutions are available.
Laser/Light – can be beneficial to aging skin in many ways
- Photorejuvenation – treats colors (red & brown) and blends the complexion
- Fractional Laser Resurfacing – smooths wrinkles and scarring, increases collagen and elastin
- Skin Tightening – improves skin laxity
- Hair Reduction – permanently reduces hair grown
Facial Rejuvenation – in addition to good skin care, a total approach including Botox and fillers to maximally improve your appearance
- Fillers – fillers that contain hyaluronic acid, a natural substance that is present in young skin, are excellent, virtually risk free skin rejuvenators. Includes Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm, Sculptra and Belotero. We also have Radiess®, a calcium based filler for deeper contouring.
- Botox and Dysport – muscle relaxers to prevent those movements that cause facial lines